Friday 30 January 2009

Kakarigeiko

Tonight's training Andrea senpai had us focus on how to practice kakarigeiko (かかり稽古), which translates into something like 'continous hitting'. This practice has many benefits as it quickens your reflexes and ultimately helps you strike a target immediately as it opens, automatically without thinking.

It's one of those exercises where you dread it the second before the first strike, but once you're in the action it's quite an exhilarating feeling of release and freedom. I've never been too good at it myself but today I think I've made a breakthrough.

I've always strived to be faster (with good form) but today I realised that a mindful kakarigeiko is superior to one that is fast but ignorant. Though the hits may be continuous and at a thousand miles an hour, there is always a 'split' second where you can anticipate, adjust distance and think about which strike to use. By mindfully applying that 'split' second, your strikes become more meaningful, and communication between the kendoka is created. This is where good players develop their timing.

But yah, I still want to be as fast as these guys here!

No comments:

Post a Comment