Wednesday 25 November 2009

Graduation in Rainy Edinburgh!

Woke up, enjoyed some bread and coffee, and headed out to a Kiltmaker to hire a kilt for my graduation ceremony. Got it done, just.

I was happy during the entire graduation process. It was so different from my undergrad ceremony because I knew and liked everyone from my course. Whenever I chat with our classmates, I feel like we're on the same mission, with the same goals, same values for life. There isn't a single element of competition, animosity.

I also thought I looked like a stud in the kilt. I walked up on the stage confidently, back straight and smiling. How different from my undergrad days!! I've really found myself, I thought.

The rest of the day was spent at a wine reception in the majestic Playfair Library at Edinburgh University Old College. It was panicky as I had problems locating my belongings (kilt has no pockets for cameras, stuff, etc.). But even so, I was always at ease. Too much pity if these things can bother me.

Then over at Kushal's flat. Suddenly, in spurts, the culmination of everything hit me. I felt an urge to get my "stuff" out. I want people to know I love my chosen field, I want people to know my work on it, I want people to debate and criticise me, I want to know more and more people in the carbon world.

I knew once Kushal got the ball rolling through Linkedin, everything snowballed from there. He was now talking to everyone. I want the same.

From now on I will put my dissertation for public viewing and comment on wordpress - first thing when I go back to London.

But now, I've to collect my luggage from Stanley, visit my beloved Edinburgh uni kendo club and then graduation dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment