Sunday 1 November 2009

Snapshots of my recent days

So easy to forget to update my blog....guess that's why Facebook is so popular, simply uploading a nice picture to tell a thousand words.

But...!! Some things do need recording so...

1. PROHIBITION ON STAYING FRIDAY & SATURDAY NIGHTS IN THE HOUSE

Yah, it's a house rule to specifically apply to me...by Nakai. "no es posible estar en la casa, esatamos en London! Come se peude voya con chicas si estas en la casa!" Flatmate Cici is also a party animal herself...we rarely see her, except for the odd days I'm off work and eating lunch...at home of course. She's usually cooking her healthy diet friendly dishes, but woks and woks of it....so seems like they are canceling each other out lol.

But going out has never been so pain-free because Nakai does all the research. I simply just go, or invite ppl to go....until he's able to makes new friends.

So far my favourite is definitely Cargo, located near Old Street tube.

http://www.cargo-london.com/

It's just a really really cool place to hang out with a big group of friends. Entry is free, there are indoor bar areas, a disco area, live band area, quite restaurant area for easy conversations or a coffee, sociable outdoor area, all in the one place!!! It's really a night out all in one, and free entry makes it the best...and the waiting lines long.







2. BREAKFAST AT WORK

Unbelievable as it sounds, I look forward to work. Because if I wake early and beat the traffic, I can enjoy a peaceful breakfast at the office, however I like it. Company has a kitchen and large storage area where I keep my breakfast...cereals, breads etc, and a cafe area to relax. The views overlooking the office are amazing too. It feels so good to be early...like you are in control of your day, and whatever happens you're already prepared for. I remember one time I came in right on time and already ppl were seated and working. I hated that feeling...





3. WEEKLY VISITS TO BOROUGH MARKETS

Yes I know I've never been a conosseur of quality food. I can't really taste the difference between a great wine and a good one, don't really know about cheese types and differences in how they're made, and don't really eat bread that's non-toast (although I heart polish and nan bread). I usually eat 'sophiticated' breads at special dinner outings or hotels in travels, and must say the differences in taste are huge.

This is not to say I hadn't cared about food. My limited food variety intake has mainly been for economic reasons - i.e. I was a poor student. But I have read Omnivore Dilemma and In Defence of Food by Michael Pollan so I'm well-versed in the evil agribusiness sector and 'factory churned' meats that have turned Americans into the most obese and cancer prone people on Earth. I do know the importance of quality food and the need to support organic, traditional, sustainable and small-scale agriculture.

So....since I'm in London, I've made it a habit to visit Borough every Saturday morning and buy some 'real' food. Every week has a theme, last week was bread and this week is cheese. I don't buy much, just a treat that I allow myself for a hard week's savings. I do learn a lot about different varieties, how different foods are made, and better understand the lives of people who devote their lives to promoting quality food. It's a good deal, for both my soul and wallet.





4. COOKING AT HOME

On the subject of food, I really really like the food culture in our flat. First thing to notice is that there are very few meats. For whatever reason non of us are big meat eaters. Cici prefers fish, Nakai doesn't eat any meats other than Italian hams/salamis, and Steven usually just eats out. So the fridge is basically full of fresh vegetables and fruit.

Me and Nakai simply don't eat out at all so we're always in the kitchen in the evenings. We don't cook anything spectacular but it's always something I look forward to in the day. Usually on the menu is a simple pasta (tomato, carbonara or pesto) or toasted breads with some olives, tomatoes, cheese and olive oil. I sometimes do a curry, or experiement with chilli con carne (vege) or Mexican. It's amazing to see the Meditterean culture so entrenched in him. He's 25, you'd think he'd love to eat the junk stuff but he's perfectly content to make the most healthy sandwiches that most Chinese or Americans would regard as not 'filling' or 'satisfying' enough. But he absolutely loves it...and to be honest so do I.





No comments:

Post a Comment